A HANDS-ON REVIEW OF THE NEW CANON G7X MARK III
Our complete review of the powerhouse from Canon and why we think this is the best option for travelers and vloggers
It is finally here! We have been waiting from the beginning of 2019 and Canon has just released the brand-new features-stacked point and shoot camera for photography enthusiasts, travelers and vloggers – The powerful G7X Mark III!
We are super excited to get our hands on this beauty and we have got an exhausting list of tons of new features and brilliant stuff Canon has given us with their latest offering.
SO, WHAT IS THE G7X MARK III?
The G7X Mark III is the latest offering in 2019 from Canon in the wildly popular PowerShot series. The G7X Mark III is a next generation point and shoot device mainly aimed at vloggers and storytellers to help bring their visions, stories and photos to life. Canon has packed this camera with a lot of innovative features while staying true to its greatest strength – high quality images and beautiful videos.
The Canon G7X Mark III is a camera aimed at enthusiasts, travelers and vloggers
Please check out the official Canon page specifications: https://www.canon-europe.com/cameras/powershot-g7-x-mark-iii/
The G7X Mark III comes with a lot of impressive specifications that helps users take brilliant and stunning photos. Check it out below:
- Sensor: The G7X Mark III comes with a 1 inch 20 megapixel stacked CMOS sensor. This is a larger sensor than found in most point and shoot cameras and helps the camera take stunning photos. It can perform high speed continuous shooting at 20fps and can go up to 30fps in a special RAW burst mode.
- ISO: It has the highest ISO speed in all of the PowerShot series – till 12,800 (and can expand to 25,600 which is in the ballpark of many DSLRs out there). But the powerful sensor and processor ensures you can use low ISO even in low-light conditions to get beautiful noiseless images.
CANON has come up with a new sensor powered by the latest DIGIC 8 processor and a ton of other high-quality features
- Lens: The Mark III comes with a 24-100MM f/1.8-2.8 lens with 4.2x optical zoom and the trademark Canon optical image stabilization which helps photographers take brilliant pictures wherever they go.
- Processor: G7X also uses the latest powerful DIGIC 8 processor which is a mark-up from the Mark II’s DIGIC 7 and the difference can be seen in the final output.
- AF+ MF: It has a 3 stop ND filter and a 31 point AutoFocus system which comes along with object and face tracking. But the true innovation is an AF+MF system where you can adjust the focus even after the AF has locked on to a subject. Shallow depth of field coupled with the powerful specifications helps the Mark III take brilliant images - no matter the subject or the lighting condition.
- Other new features: It has also introduced the focus bracketing feature seen previously in the EOS line-up. It comes with a new pre-record feature which enables you to start actual capture 0.5 seconds before the shutter is fully closed, helping you to take the right shot at the right moment. Canon has also improved introduced a new panoramic photo mode, an improved Star Mode which helps you to take beautiful star trail images and a 4k time lapse mode.
Don’t take our word for it. Check out Photography Blog’s review and 4.5 star rating for this masterpiece - https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/canon_powershot_g7_x_mark_iii_review
THE TRUE STRENGTH OF THE CANON G7X MARK III COMES FROM ITS VIDEO CAPABILITIES
The Mark II was a favorite among many vloggers because of the packed features and brilliant output it offered for a point and shoot device. But Canon has genuinely outdone themselves this time with the Mark III. The Mark III’s video capabilities are a huge step forward from earlier models and as yet, unparalleled in the market today for a point and shoot device. Canon has specifically kept the vlogging and travelling photographers in mind and has introduced a ton of features meant to appeal to that market. Let us explore the plethora of features for content creators:
- Video Quality: The Mark III can capture 4k at 30p (without crop), 1080 at 120p, Full HD at 60 p and HDR. This is a remarkable achievement for a point and shoot device and is a true crowd-puller.
- LCD Screen: Just like the much-loved Mark II, it features a 3” pop up LCD touch screen that can flip 180° in selfie mode for making sure content creators have it easy.
- Livestream to YouTube: You can now livestream wirelessly to YouTube with the touch of a button and even pre-schedule the timing of these streams directly from the camera.
The G7X Mark III comes with live stream and vertical video capability, a 180° flippable 3” touch screen LCD which helps users shoot their 4k videos with ease
- On Screen Record Button: It comes with an on-screen record button so you can avoid finding the button from the back of the camera. Moreover, it features a 3.5mm microphone jack which is especially useful
- Vertical Video Mode: It comes with a vertical video mode for uploading content to other vertical-styled social media platforms
See what TechRadar has to say about this camera: https://www.techradar.com/news/canon-powershot-g7-x-mark-iii-is-a-4k-shooting-vloggers-delight
WHAT ABOUT STORAGE, CONNECTIVITY & BATTERY
Canon has left no stone unturned in ensuring every area of the camera is taken care of:
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth: The G7X Mark III comes with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for staying connected 24x7
- Canon Camera Connect App: You can use the free Camera Connect App to share content easily as well as geotag your content now.
The Canon G7X Mark III comes with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Canon Camera Connect App, USB C Charging & a Type D Micro HDMI port
- Battery & Charging: The Mark III comes with NB 13L lithium ion batteries that can be powered via USB-C even while plugged in which can extremely useful for travelers.
- Storage & Output: It features a single SD slot and comes with a Type D Micro HDMI port for extremely clean HDMI output.
Check what our friends at Trusted Reviews have to say about the Canon G7X Mark III - https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/canon-g7x-mark-iii
EASE OF USE
The G7X Mark III is a marvel to handle and Canon has made it a point to make it their most user-friendly point and shoot camera model ever.
All metal frame and a neat pocket friendly design makes the Mark III an extremely traveler-friendly device
- Frame and Weight: The Mark III (even though it comes packed with features) weighs 304g which is 14g lighter than the Mark II. Canon has gone with a familiar all metal, neat, pocket-friendly, rectangular frame for the Mark III along with an upgrade in its handgrip making it comfortable to handle in normal mode as well as the selfie mode. Fully retractable lenses and lack of a viewfinder make this possible.
- File Format: It also features support for the new .CR3 format debuted last year with the Canon EOS M50.
- User Interface: It has an improved UI compared to earlier models inspired from the EOS line of cameras. The screen itself comes with a touch-focus option, swipe features and pinch-to-zoom options that are in line with all smartphones today.
FINAL VERDICT: SHOULD YOU BUY THE G7X MARK III? IS IT WORTH YOUR MONEY?
Yes, yes and yes! The Mark III is packed with so many features and is miles ahead of its competition in terms of video quality and does an excellent job in still photography as well. We honestly feel it is the best digital camera out there right now and is miles ahead from current offerings and smartphones with image and video quality near DSLR/ Mirrorless territory.
It has received stellar reviews throughout the photography community. Please feel free to check Digital Camera World’s review on the G7X Mark III - https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/reviews/hands-on-canon-powershot-g7-x-mark-iii-review
It may be similar looking to the Mark II and may seem very familiar on the outside to PowerShot users, but make no mistake, it is a whole another beast inside. It is not the cheapest Canon has launched, but is still budget friendly for most vloggers and travelers who wants to get the best quality from their point-and-shoot devices.
WHEN IS THE G7X MARK III LAUNCH DATE IN THE UAE? HOW MUCH WILL THE PRICE BE IN THE UAE?
The Canon G7X Mark III is set to launch in the UAE on 2019
On release, the price of the Canon
G7X Mark III will start from AED
WHERE CAN I BUY THE G7X MARK III IN UAE?
If you are in the UAE and interested in buying or browsing through the Mark III or other Canon products, please feel free to drop by Canon – National Store outlets located across the emirates of Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Ras Al Khaimah in these locations:
- Canon Store, Dubai Mall, Downtown Dubai - https://goo.gl/maps/tioGgo1fSaPAxKtb8
- National Store, Mirdif City Center, Mirdif, Dubai - https://goo.gl/maps/8cZGp3jB2MgynzjM7
- National Store, Al Ghazal Mall, Satwa, Dubai - https://goo.gl/maps/pEbvqpbN61zFBJjW6
- National Store, Khalidiya Mall, Abu Dhabi - https://goo.gl/maps/NrBJFbWrEERxLsFm7
- National Store, Naeem Mall, Ras Al Khaimah - https://goo.gl/maps/yfQ2aSE21XGFvYfH6
You can check out our retail stores here.
Some of the more enthusiastic photographers out there might be looking for a proper mirror-less camera instead of a point and shoot device. Check out the best Canon has to offer in the mirrorless range in the UAE here published on 2019.